We used a high-protein yoghurt to give this salad a little boost over the traditional roast pumpkin side dish
- 750g Roma tomatoes, quartered lengthways
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2tsp Sumac
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 whole Jap pumpkin, cut into large chunks, keep skin on
- Pumpkin spice rub: 1Tbsp coriander, 2 tsp each ground cumin + cinnamon, ¼ tsp hot chilli flakes, 1 tsp salt, 4 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 cup high-protein natural greek style yoghurt (we used Black Swan low-fat Greek Style)
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
Salad base: 4 cups baby spinach or rocket
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper
- Place your quartered Roma tomatoes and garlic cloves on one of the baking trays, sprinkle with sumac, season with s&p, drizzle with EVOO. Place on the top shelf of the oven to roast – about 20minutes. Check regularly and remove once they are charring on the edges.
- Combine the dry spices and the crushed garlic for your pumpkin rub in a small bowl. Place the pumpkin pieces on the remaining baking trays, drizzle with EVOO, then rub the spice mix on the upside of the pumpkin. Some spice mix will likely remain, and that is fine – you’ll do the same thing when you turn the pumpkin to cook it evenly. Add these to the oven, remove tomatoes if done (set aside to cool) and place the pumpkin on the top shelf. Check on your pumpkin every 5-10minutes, rotate the pieces, and rub in last of the spice mix. Remove and leave to cool once cooked.
- Mix up your dressing ingredients in a tight-lidded glass jar. Shake to combine. Once the roast garlic from the tomato tray is cooled enough to handle, squeeze the insides to your dressing, press large pieces with a fork, replace lid, and shake dressing to combine.
- Scatter baby spinach/rocket on a platter
- Assemble your salad by placing roast pumpkin pieces, and sumac tomatoes over the greens. When ready to serve, spoon out your yoghurt dressing. Enjoy!